My life is filled with blessings. I have a fabulous husband. I have 3 beautiful children. My house is a mess and
there are chickens in my backyard. What more could you want out of life?

Monday, September 24, 2012

This boy has my heart.

This has got to be the most precious boy that ever lived.  Let me tell you why...
 
 
 
He is a do-gooder to the core.  That's not why I love him, but it sure does help!  It is so precious though.  His kindergarten teacher emailed me recently and said she was doing an activity with the kids and glue.  She told them to put a dot of glue on their paper and a glob of glue on their paper (to show how much is the appropriate amount to use).  She noticed Elijah only had a dot.  When she asked him to make a glob he said he didn't want to.  She asked why and he told her "because you're not supposed to use that much glue...its not right."
 
He has been looking forward to going to the library at school.  Today he was so excited when he came home because he was finally able to check out a book.  We read it at bedtime (it was about dinosaurs).  A few minutes after I had the kids tucked into bed Elijah came into my room crying.  After I got him calmed down enough to talk I asked what was wrong.  He said he was so afraid the librarian was going to be mad at him because he took a book off of a shelf he wasn't supposed to.  He said she told the kids to pick a book off a certain shelf.  He said he didn't like any of the books on that shelf so he found one on another shelf that he liked and he checked that one out.  Now he is upset with himself and is afraid the librarian and his teacher will be mad at him.  I told him he just needs to talk to the librarian and tell her he thinks he took a book off the wrong shelf.  He stopped me and said "no, I did it on purpose, I can't say 'I think'".  He asked if they will be mad at him (not if he will be in trouble).  I told him they may be disappointed in him and he may have some consequences, but they will still love him and be glad he was honest with them.  He decided he needs to take the book back and apologize to his teacher and the librarian.  I am almost certain he misunderstood and was allowed to get any book, but he's afraid he did something wrong and needs to make it right.
 
When Janice came over for her birthday dinner a few weeks ago he gave her a dollar.  He said she always gives him money for his birthday so he wanted to give her a dollar for her birthday (it was his own money).
 
I got on to him once for saying what I made for dinner was disgusting and he didn't like it.  We talked about tact.  Now he will say every night for dinner "Thank you so much for cooking this for me, Mom."  If he doesn't like it he'll say something like "Thank you for making this, but its not my favorite...its still good though...thank you."
 
I noticed today he didn't eat all of his sandwich I had packed him for lunch.  When I asked him about it he said he didn't really like it.  He said, "I do really like this fish, Mom (I made baked fish for dinner) I would really like to take some of it in my lunch tomorrow."  What 6 year old wants to take fish in his lunch?
 
He is such a joy.

2 comments: